Wednesday, March 27, 2013

♥ Promote what you love.

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies.  The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them.  The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do.  Both are nonsense.  You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."
 
There is a lot going on right now in our country politically, most of it very controversial. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen multiple changed profile pictures, Obamacare articles, and political rants.  I am a strong believer in using the social media for good, not just to post silly pictures or clever sayings, so I really respect it..... But there is a line that should be drawn.

In the past I've been very guilty of ranting/bashing on other political parties/ideologies, even when I haven't done very extensive research on the subject.  This is something I'm really trying to work on, and I'm genuinely sorry if I've offended anyone in the past.  However, this doesn't mean I won't post political statuses/articles/pictures, but will simply follow the ideology below.


I think it takes a lot of courage to stand up for what you believe in, especially in front of your friends.  I think shying away from anything controversial solely to "protect" others' feelings is an unhealthy behavior.  If someone is "offended" about a picture I post that is a positive and respectful stance on a controversial issue, then I don't consider them a true, mature friend.  We should be able to respect those around us, regardless of our beliefs.  That's what makes America so great.  We just need to choose to do it in a positive way, and hopefully shed some light for those who don't understand the issue fully. 

Another thing I'm really working on is to do my research.  Often times it's easy for me to listen to people I respect (such as my parents, friends, etc.) talk about their stance on an issue, and for me to instantly agree with them... even if I haven't done any research on the subject.  Nothing makes me feel smaller than when I'm in a heated, political discussion and realize halfway through that I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who is guilty of this, but I hope we can all try to really learn about each issue before jumping on the "bandwagon" and embarrassing ourselves.  That's one thing I've learned about and love about Brooks.  He won't ever fight/defend something until he truly knows what it is, and I have a huge respect for that.


Now, as I take a deep breath, I'm going to address a heated issue that has been incredibly difficult for me to find a stance on.  This would be gay marriage.  I am quite possibly the biggest romantic you will ever meet, and genuinely want everyone to be happy, ESPECIALLY in love.  However, I am also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  As most of you probably know, my church does not support gay marriage.  (This does not mean they hate gays, or want to discriminate in any way possible.)  I have really struggled with the church's stance on gay marriage, and have done a lot of praying on the matter.  My biggest question has always been why not?  Why don't they deserve to be happy and be with the one they love?  Why do I have to choose a stance on this?  Why did I have to fight against Prop. 8?  After lots of praying and research, I ultimately decided that if I was going to accept the gospel, I needed to accept all of it.  You can't simply pick and choose things you want to believe in.  The biggest realization for me was that our time here on earth is so small compared to our eternal lives.  We were in the Preexistence before this, and will return to live with our Heavenly Father after our time here.  Heavenly Father loves EVERYONE, and wants us all to be happy, which is WHY we don't support gay marriage.  I have such a strong testimony that Heavenly Father cares for each and every one of us, and has a plan for us, and He is the only one who knows why everything is the way it is.  He created us and designed us all to become families, which can only happen between a man and a woman.  

 
"We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

I know my stance on this will upset a lot of people I care about.  I truly hope you all know that I wouldn't post something like this if I didn't believe it with all my heart.  I know that God has a plan for each and every one of us, but his plans do not include gay marriage.  I hope you can click on my "I'm a Mormon" icon on the top right side of my page and learn more about my church, and understand where I'm coming from, rather than making a harsh judgment. 

I love you all and have such a big testimony of God and His commandments for all of us.  I understand if this upsets you or if you choose to unfriend/follow me.  I really hope you can feel how genuine I am being and how hard I'm trying to follow my heart and be respectful.

I'm so grateful for the people I have in my life, and for the strength and guidance I receive from my Heavenly Father. 

I'm grateful for the power of social media and how easy it can be to share our deepest beliefs with the click of a button.

I'm grateful for my friends, especially ones who have different beliefs.  I really learn a lot from them and although I may disapprove of their choices, I really admire them and value their friendship.  

I'm grateful for my friends who are homosexual, and for their support as I write this blog post.  They are some of the strongest people I know, and I hope they know how much I love them and how much God loves them.

Xoxo.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your post Christie, this is an issue that I've been struggling with. I love seeing your stance and seeing you stand up for this. I have wanted to but am so afraid of offending friends that haven't said anything yet and have been kind of ashamed of myself for it. Thanks for your example Christie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved reading this. and have had similar thoughts lately. : ) working up to writing my very own blog post about the topic. thanks, christie! : )

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips