Sunday, February 10, 2013

♥ A Little Bit About Us.

Two posts in two days?  I must really not want to do my homework.  

Brooks and I have been married for close to two years now, and there are a lot of things we have learned about life, love.... and each other.  It's amazing how completely opposite we are in our personalities and how we can still enjoy each other's company and share all of the same interests/humor/values/etc. Here are a few things about us that we have learned from our blissful time together.

BROOKS:


B. Boo. Homeboy. Love. Babe. Stud. Boots. Sparky. Mister.

Whatever I call him, he's the greatest.

He's a hilarious dancer in the kitchen, a hardcore sports fan, an avid History Channel/Pawn Stars watcher (nerd), a lover of Coke Zero, a closet genius, a sneaky romantic, a creative problem-solver, a lover of Mexican food, a respectful movie buff, a spiritual comforter, a terrible liar, a loving brother/husband/son, the cutest guy I've ever met, and my very best friend.

Since marrying this charmer, I've pretty much seen all sides of him... the good, and the not so good.

Good: Brooks is incredibly smart.  He has the most amazing memory, logic, and can ace any test he's given.  Best part about it, he's humble. He will NEVER admit he's as smart as he is, despite how many times his family and I tell him.

Not So Good: He can stress.  Unlike me, Brooks is very responsible and can stress when it comes to things like school, work, and finances.  Now, Brooks has never called me a bad name, or yelled at me. Ever. Rather, when he's upset he takes it out on himself.  He takes all of his stress and worries and tries to handle it on his own and not worry me. Thankfully, living with a girl who is huge on communication, he has gotten MUCH better at sharing his concerns with me and letting me take some stress off of him.

Example of him stressing over taxes.  What a good husband.

 
Good: Brooks is the least judgmental person you'll ever meet.  For those of you who knew me a few years back... I have a past.  Not all bad, but I definitely made mistakes that I'm not proud of.  After meeting Brooks and dating for a couple of weeks, I realized how amazing he was and how I was unworthy of someone like him, and told him e v e r y t h i n g.  I legit aired all of my dirty laundry, and fully expected him to realize he should be with someone who had a cleaner record, someone like himself.  However, once I finished, he thanked me for telling him, bore an incredible testimony of the atonement, and proceeded to tell me how amazing I was.  Talk about a great guy, huh? Seriously, if anyone is looking for a good listener, shoulder to cry on, and most importantly THE most loyal friend, I've found your guy.

Not So Good: Brooks has O.C.D. about cleanliness.  Okay, so maybe this doesn't seem much like a flaw, but seriously, if I so much as leave a cup out on the counter, he can't handle it.  He folds all of his t-shirts because he doesn't like to stretch the neck out. (Not gonna lie, I died laughing at that one when he first told me.) However, I must admit, coming home on a regular basis to a newly vacuumed house with fresh laundry folded on a perfectly made bed... not too shabby.  BUT, I am trying to help him calm down a bit, because heaven help him when we have kids who are anything like I was.  

For example, me as a toddler having fun with Hershey's chocolate syrup.

Good: He's great with kids.  Seriously, I consider myself pretty good with kids, but he's a natural.  Little boys love playing with him and every little girl falls in love with him and wants to sit on his lap.  It's the cutest thing in the world and I KNOW he will be a great dad.

This is Brooks with Shawnie, a girl we babysat for the summer after getting married.  She had two sisters who adored Brooks too. 

Not So Good: Despite the fact that he is good at everything he does, Brooks lacks confidence.  He has often missed out on life opportunities due to the fear of failure.  Thankfully, he took the initiative to give me his number, which according to him, was the bravest thing he's ever done. (which is crazy, because it was quite obvious I had a huge crush on him)  Because of this fear of failure, I make sure to compliment him and build him up every day.  That's been the greatest part of marriage. Despite seeing each other's flaws, we help build each other up without judgment and without losing faith in each other.  Brooks does a much better job at this than I do, but I'm learning.  

CHRISTIE:


 (First off, you've got to admit... we're going to have cute kids.)

 A few things about me.... I'm pretty much the exact opposite of Brooks.  While he is logical and thinks everything through, I'm spontaneous and impulsive.  While he enjoys watching historical documentaries, I enjoy watching the bachelor and game shows.  While he is more reserved and keeps to himself, I'm outgoing and love meeting new people.

I'm moody, emotional, and passionate.  I laugh at myself constantly (because I'm obviously hilarious, and apparently don't have good coordination as I fall/hurt myself all the time), I cry in every movie I watch and book I read, I'm a crazy animal lover, and have the biggest testimony of the atonement and the power of forgiveness.  I'm obsessed with Chinese food, seafood, sweet potato fries and chocolate. I'm a hopeless romantic, a lover of good cinema, and will defend Taylor Swift until I die.  I'm crazy about holidays, despise snow/cold weather, and my feet are freezing ALL THE TIME.  I'm addicted to Pinterest, love jigsaw puzzles, and am a closet bookworm.  I even have a library card on my key ring.

Now, one of Brooks' rules is he will never say a bad word about me.  Ever.  He will never admit I don't look good without makeup, or that I look bloated after a sushi hangover, and as hard as I've tried he won't help me with the "negatives" on this blog.  Oh well, I'll try my best to read his mind.

Good: I'm very loving.  I constantly am hugging, kissing, and saying "I love yous" with Brooks.  I am very open with my affection (as obviously shown through my many social media outlets, which I won't apologize for) and want more than anything for Brooks to be happy.  I like to show the people I care about that I love them, and am a big "note" leaver.  I love jotting down little messages for Brooks to come home to, and leave him multiple texts/voicemails/emails each day, and Brooks appreciates that.

One of my nicknames in high school was "laptop" because I loved sitting on laps.  There are no exceptions when it comes to snuggling with this guy.

Not So Good: Now, obviously, I am a trophy wife.  I cook my husband INCREDIBLE meals including Dijiornos pizza, Honey-Nut cheerios, and occasionally, a grilled cheese with pesto on it.  Talk about fancy right? Okay, so not really, I DO try and do a good job on Sundays though. It's just difficult to come home at 9:30 pm and make a nice dinner or wake up early and prepare something in advance AND keep the house perfectly clean.  So basically, I've gained a huge respect for my mom and every other wonder woman out there.

Good:  I'm very loyal.  No matter how upset I may get with Brooks, (which despite his perfection, I do), I will never utter a bad word about him.  I will defend him until the day I die. I am in this thing forever and nothing will change that.

Not So Good: I'm very emotional.  When I see someone cry, I cry.  When I get angry, I yell and cry also.  I'm also stubborn, which isn't a good combo. I don't always think things through, and I always want to comfort people when they're sad, even if they've hurt me.  When it's that time of month, the time my family all dreads, not only does Brooks stock me up on some peanut M&Ms and gives me Sonic to cuddle with, but he also puts on a sad flick to get all my "crying" out, so I can avoid a meltdown later.  What can I say, he is a saint. 

Enough with all that though.  Despite our differences, Brooks and I surprisingly have a lot in common.  We both LOVE movies, and have become quite the movie buffs and collectors.  In fact, we are called upon quite often from friends and family to borrow a movie.  We also love to walk together.  Whether it's in the mall, taking Sonic on a walk, or just a quick trip to the mailbox, it's one of our favorite pastimes. It's a nice break from everything in our lives and we can just talk.  Another thing, we love "Pillow Talk." Despite how tired we are sometimes, Brooks and I can stay up all night talking about everything from coworkers to politics.  We have the same viewpoints on life, same sense of humor, and same beliefs.

One of our "Movie Tuesdays." We love going on Tuesday's because of the weekly discount.

We've learned a lot from marriage, but possibly the best lesson has been to be selfless.  It's hard, but when we spend more time thinking about how the other person is feeling versus always trying to "win" the argument, we appreciate each other SO much more and fall more in love with each other every day.  We really are lucky in love.


Anyways, I think I've put my homework off long enough, and probably gone into WAY too many details about our lives, but hopefully that doesn't turn you completely off from reading this blog.

Until next time, Xoxo.  



2 comments:

  1. I loved this post!! You and Brooks are perfect for each other. And it's perfectly fine to acknowledge each others' weaknesses as long as you remain completely dedicated to each other. Which you are. And you're so cute about it.

    Do you realize that Eva was born almost 2 years after we got married? Crazy! (not that I'm pressuring you or anything... ;) ) I'm glad you have had this time to learn so much about each other and keep falling deeper and deeper in love. It might be hard to imagine this now, but kids will make you love and respect each other on a completely different level. And yes, you will have adorable children :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christi - you are adorable!! I love reading your blog!! You and Brooks are perfect for each other - and are so happy!
    Staying positive and giving daily verbal love gifts to each other keeps the romance alive

    Love,
    Grandma Orchard

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips